Software Developer 1
The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) Dean’s office, at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT, seeks applicants for a full-time position as a Software Developer 1, for the Information Technology department. You will be part of a small team working on our suite of software applications (both web and desktop) and reporting solutions. Our applications directly contribute to the success of the CLAS mission and are responsible for helping to manage many aspects of the college, including tracking of financial information, staffing planning, grant process management, reporting, and more.
Working under the direction of the Senior Software Developer within CLAS IT, the incumbent will be expected to apply expertise and advanced programming techniques to design, develop, analyze, and maintain our applications to facilitate and expedite the processing of complex academic, administrative, and research data. Each of our current custom web applications are written in C# using the ASP.NET framework, Entity Framework ORM; utilizing MVC with single-page app interactions to an API on the back end.
We are looking for a talented, self-motivated software developer who is interested in the entire SDLC process including requirements gathering, solution design, implementation, testing, and deployments. Our agile workflow, engaged stakeholders, and modern tooling, including one-click deployments and automated testing suite, offer a rewarding and organized work environment.
Additionally, there will be opportunities to work on business intelligence (BI) reporting and data analytics, as well as non-administrative, research-based projects that will assist faculty with their software needs for their research projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with end users to analyze business, define needs, and create functional requirements to develop application features.
- Designs applications and/or modules within an application, and creates the code for these from functional specifications.
- Analyzes, reviews, and rewrites modules within applications to increase efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Analyzes, debugs, and fixes bugs in the code base.
- Confers with supervisor and departmental representatives to resolve questions of program intent, output requirements, and input data acquisition.
- Conducts analysis of needs, recommends solutions, and works with users to refine them.
- Performs ad-hoc manually testing, as well as creates automated tests to test all functionality of the applications.
- Supports senior technical personnel with installation, upgrade, and maintenance of software systems.
- Supports technical projects as part of a project team.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field and at least two years of programming experience OR Associate's degree in a computer-related field and four years of programming experience OR six years of programming experience.
- Minimum of two years of experience with .NET (ASP.NET), C#, SQL, LINQ, and Entity Framework.
- Minimum of two years of experience with web technologies including HTML, CSS, JS, and JQuery.
- Working knowledge of SQL Server Management Studio and best practices in database design.
- Familiarity with source control and project tracking applications.
- Demonstrated ability in analytical reasoning and logical problem-solving.
- Working knowledge of standard desktop applications such as word processors, spreadsheets, and database tools.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Four years of programming experience (C# required, but knowledge of PHP, Ruby, and Python also preferred).
- Experience with Agile development practices.
- Working knowledge of IIS and automated build procedures.
- Working knowledge of WebFOCUS 8.
- Experience with TFS, GIT, or other source control.
- Knowledge of standard software development principles such as DRY and SOLID.
- Knowledge of common software design patterns (MVC, MVVM, Domain Driven Design (DDD))
- Experience with automated functional, unit, and integration testing with frameworks such as NUnit, MSTest, XUnit, etc.
- Experience with automated UI testing using Selenium.
- Ability to independently analyze business requirements and translate them into well-functioning and documented applications.
- Ability to engage, connect, and work with diverse student, administrative, and faculty populations and provide a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational setting.
The University offers great benefits including retirement benefits, health coverage (including dental), good work-life balance with flexible scheduling, 35 hour work week, telecommuting opportunities, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, tuition reimbursement, high-end development machines, technology training, and learning opportunities, and more.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496657 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Screening will begin immediately.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on August 11, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.