Breaking News Reporter (3119)
Breaking News Reporter
The Star-Telegram is looking for an aggressive, lightning-fast reporter who can jump on breaking news
that is essential to our communities and tell the stories through words, photos and video as well as on
From late-night mayhem to natural disasters and everything in between, this reporter will identify the
breaking stories that our communities need or want to know about, tell them in an engaging way, update
them as often as necessary and help them reach a large audience by adding an irresistible headline,
impeccable SEO and great visuals. The reporter will also have the opportunity to report on more in-depth
follow stories of breaking news, helping our audience understand what happened and why and the
people who were affected.
You must understand the need for speed as well as context, and you must be committed to increasing
the sense of urgency across the newsroom. Your goal is to help us grow our audience reach and earn
loyal readers by making sure we are a credible, timely and compelling source of breaking news in Tarrant
and surrounding counties.
Fort Worth is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and is the 13th largest city in the United
States. Its population is diverse, with about 35% of the population Hispanic or Latino, over 18% Black
and about 5% Asian, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The Star-Telegram is committed to better
representing the diverse North Texas communities we cover and to building an inclusive newsroom for
staffers of all backgrounds. We encourage members of historically underrepresented communities to
apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Nights and weekend shifts may be part of the job.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment;
- The ability to shoot passable photos and videos;
- Solid news judgment and excellent journalism ethics;
- Understanding of open records laws and the ability to file, manage and oversee requests pertinent to
- beat work;
- Ability to engage with readers and develop sources on social media platforms including but not limited to
- Facebook, Instagram and Twitter;
- Understanding of SEO and other optimization opportunities and a demonstrated ability to learn new
- skills in social and digital;
- Ability to correctly identify audiences for selected stories;
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and high energy;
- A collaborative style that works comfortably across teams spread throughout the office and company.We
- will work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and
- experimentation and always evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
- Degree in journalism or related field
- Two years of experience
- Fluency and English and Spanish preferred.
Please provide a cover letter and samples of your work.