James Madison University IT Security is accepting applications for the position of Security Analyst.
Part-time telecommuting permitted.
The Security Analyst monitors and analyzes network, system, application, and account activity using logs, traffic, tools and other intelligence sources to detect active threats. The Security Analyst will work closely with the team members and other members of the JMU community to identify and respond to security incidents.
- Proficient with Linux, macOS and Windows
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Works well independently as well as in team settings.
- An understanding of security implications related to network, application, email, workstation, and server security, including the ability to detect host and network based intrusions.
- Knowledge of common attacker tactics and techniques.
- Knowledge of networking concepts, including networking protocols and the OSI model
- Ability to prepare and present formal/informal written/oral presentations of a technical nature and the ability to understand and analyze written/oral technical material.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or other related fields
- M.S. in information security
- Proficient with Linux, macOS and Windows operating systems.
- Experience with Security Information & Event Management (SIEM) systems and other logging tools.
- Knowledge of database security.
- Scripting experience: Powershell, Python, Perl.
- Knowledge of cloud security, particularly experience with Microsoft 365 and AWS.
- Experience using data loss prevention tools.
- Incident response experience.
- Experience with malware analysis tools.
- Experience with packet capture tools.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.