The George Mason University, Office of University Branding, is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person to join the strategic communications team as a Communications Officer. The Office of University Branding at George Mason University is responsible for telling the Mason story. Relying on a team of highly skilled communicators and marketing professionals, the department builds awareness and support for the university, develops and protects the brand, and shares important and timely information with the Mason community and its external partners.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Communications Officer’s primary responsibility is to support the Office of University Branding in the overall promotion of George Mason University and its activities, faculty, staff, students, and alumni to internal and external audiences. The Communications Officer will achieve these objectives largely through multimedia storytelling for the Mason website, social media channels, and other university publications. This person will contribute a unique interpretation or analysis as well as infuse the stories with key Mason message points to elevate Mason’s brand, All Together Different.
This person must use judgment, skill, and creativity to craft stories and other messages aimed at a variety of audiences, and needs to bring flexibility to the job to be able to operate across a variety of storytelling platforms and channels. The Communications Officer is expected to develop relationships with communication partners across the university, and share information with the team. Other duties may include developing editorial calendars and media lists; generating ideas for how faculty and staff can be presented as thought leaders in tip sheets and profiles, sending out press releases, media advisories, tip sheets, expert profiles, etc.; pitching stories to local, regional, and national news outlets; responding to media queries; and assisting with special events. This position reports to the Executive Director of News and Content.
- A bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated professional experience as a writer or reporter in a deadline- and results-driven environment (2-3 years preferred);
- Strong writing skills and experience with arranging and conducting interviews;
- Experience working with style guides, such as the AP Style Manual, preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort dealing with a wide range of individuals, including students, professors, university officials, campus visitors, and members of the media;
- Ability to work quickly and meet multiple deadlines; and
- Familiarity with Microsoft and Adobe software suites/platforms.
- Experience working in higher education;
- Social media posting;
- Photo editing experience; and
- Experience posting content to the web and to social media platforms.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 00405Z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.