SALARY RANGE $68,933 to $92,377 Annually
SUMMARY OF CLASSIFICATION: Works under the administrative direction of the Finance Director. Provides assistance in the coordination and completion of the financial activities of the City, including: accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, cash management, and cash collection. Supervises and provides overall guidance to the Finance Clerk.
BUDGETARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Assists with the preparation and administration of the annual budget for areas of responsibility. Monitors expenditures during the year and makes recommendations to Finance Director for budget modifications or additional funds.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Maintains an accurate and up to date general ledger through the timely posting of transactions, review, and reconciliation of accounts and subledgers.
- Performs month end, calendar year end, and fiscal year end closings, along with preparing for the annual audit. Works with the City’s external auditors in completion of the audit and the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR).
- Performs accounting duties that accurately report the City’s financial accounts, including all balance sheet accounts, revenue accounts, and expenditure accounts.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of accounting, budgeting, and statistical files, reports, and schedules; inputs and updates financial data; retrieves data; runs reports and distributes as requested.
- Oversees, verifies, and balances cash receipts and related financial transactions; prepares cash reports; coordinates transfers of money to financial institutions; maintains journal entries, balances, conducts research and analysis as required and corrects irregularities.
- Assists with the City’s investment program; develops and maintains detailed cash flow controls and projections in support of the City’s investments; advises on the availability of funds to invest and the investment time frame.
- Works with Information Technology Director to ensure financial software is up-to-date and provides integrity and control necessary to ensure accurate and timely information is available.
- Prepares the City’s bi-weekly payroll and related required filings.
- Assists with preparation of the annual budget and calculation of tax rate for budget adoption process; coordinates with Tarrant Appraisal District regarding appraisal rolls and information; works with Tarrant County in administration of property tax billing and collections; coordinates with State of Texas Comptroller in sales tax issues and collections; works with utility companies in collecting franchise taxes.
- Maintains fixed asset inventory and updates schedules and records.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS: Pays strict attention to detail. Advanced knowledge of and ability to appropriately apply accounting theory and techniques, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) statements, and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements. Knowledge of property tax procedures, requirements, and statutes. Knowledge of state and local tax laws.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION: Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Minimum of three years’ experience working in a governmental operation with proven skills in accounting and financial management. Certified Public Accountant preferred. Certified Governmental Finance Officer (CGFO) preferred.