The City of Benbrook was incorporated in 1947 when the community of approximately 50 people was served by individual water wells and septic tanks. In 1949, the city granted a franchise to the Worth Water Company to install and operate a water system in Benbrook. In 1955, Benbrook Water Authority (BWA) was established by the Texas Legislature as a water conservation and reclamation district and assumed the assets of the Worth Water Company (HB 512 of the 54th Legislature). At the time the City did not have the funds to take over and operate the system. BWA’s acquisition of the water system began a success story that continues to this day.
The BWA was initially chartered to serve the geographic limits of the City of Benbrook as they existed on December 8, 1947. This jurisdiction was later expanded to include all the city limits of Benbrook as it existed on February 1, 1969 (HB 1313, 61st Legislature). Today, BWA provides water supply, treatment and distribution, as well as wastewater collection services to 20,000 plus residents of Benbrook. BWA currently has a total facility investment of $26.7 million and an annual operating budget of approximately $10 million. The water operation is financed entirely from water revenues and water impact fees. The wastewater operation is financed entirely by user charges and wastewater impact fees. BWA does not have the authority to levy ad valorem taxes but may issue bonds.